With Easter fast approaching (how is it almost Easter?), what better time to share this little twist on rabbit food? Carrots are all over the blogosphere these days, showing up in vitamix blenders and breakfast bowls alike. Inspired by the amazing Chocolate Covered Katie’s cold Carrot Cake cereal with spelt flakes (def check out her awesome blog and recipes!) I set out to make carrot cake oatmeal for breakfast yesterday. I used the ingredients I had on hand, but you could make it even more interesting with additional spices and even fresh pineapple chunks. Carrot cake-lovers, rejoice!
Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup old-fasioned oats + 1.25 cups water
- 1 banana, sliced
- coconut flakes for garnish
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 10 baby carrots
- 3 walnut halves (more if you like!)
- 3 pecan halves (more if you like!)
- 1/4 cup water to add to nut and carrot mixture in blender/food processor
- Steam baby carrots.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together steamed carrots, walnuts, pecans, and 1/4 cup water into puree. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, boil 1.25 cups water with a dash of salt.
- When water boils, add oats and stir.
- After 3 minutes, add banana slices and chia seeds to oat mixture. Stir continuously as banana slices break down.
- As bananas break down, add carrot/nut puree to oat mixture. Stir continuously, whipping the ingredients together.
- When oats are almost cooked, add cinnamon and vanilla to taste.
- Add optional toppings: raisins, coconut flakes, extra walnuts and pecans, cinnamon, or if you’re like me — peanut butter!